Lost Railways

Unique Digital Art Celebrating our Lost Railways and Stations.

Unique Digital Art Celebrating our Lost Railways and Stations.

This poster includes Scotland's capital city centre and Leith, with surrounding areas as far as the Forth Rail Bridge and Ratho to the west, Colinton to the south, and Portobello to the east.
The digital artwork is scaleable and can be reproduced at any size. There is an incredible amount of detail in the artwork and in order to read the text we recommend a minimum print size of A1.

A1 size (841 x 594mm) including white border
A0 size (1189 x 841mm) including white border

Please contact us if you require prints larger that A0.

Lost Railways Edinburgh

A1 Poster

£24.00

A0 Poster

£36.00
  •  1

    1

  •  2

    2

  •  3

    3

Stacks Image 26

Historical Notes

Edinburgh Historical Notes

The Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway was Edinburgh's first railway. It opened in 1831 as a horse-drawn tramway transporting agricultural goods and coal from the mines of Lothian to St Leonards. In 1845 it was taken over by the North British Railway (NBR) when steam locomotives were introduced. Popular with passengers, it gained the nickname 'the Innocent Railway' due to its clean safety record. The railway's tunnel was the first rail tunnel in the UK and was built under Holyrood Park at 517 metres long, The railway closed in 1968 but the tunnel, along with much of the line, are now part of a pedestrian and cycle path.

Haymarket Station was originally a terminus for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. In 1846 the line was extended eastwards to Princes Street where NBR had a terminus for their railway to Berwick-Upon-Tweed. The station became a joint station and was known as the General Station. In 1886 NBR acquired neighbouring Canal Street Station which was the terminus for the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway. Both stations were demolished and the tunnel to Scotland Street Station closed. A new, grand Victorian station was built, with extensions added later on, and the name changed to Waverley Station.
The world's first rail ferry was across the Firth of Forth from Granton to Burntisland. The ferry was in operation from 1850 but became redundant when the Forth Rail Bridge opened in 1890. Another rail ferry in operation, further up the Forth, the Port Edgar Rail Ferry to North Queensferry, also ceased operating when the bridge opened.

The Queen's Station was also known as Queen Victoria's Station. It was situated at Meadowbank Terrace where a gap in the wall indicates the station's past location. There is very little information about the station itself but it can be assumed, by the name, that it was used by Queen Victoria when in residence at Holyrood Palace.

Meadowbank Stadium Station was built specially for the 1986 Commonwealth Games held in Edinburgh at Meadowbank Stadium. The stadium was originally built for the 1970 Commonwealth Games, making it the first venue to hold the games twice. The station continued to be used for occasional events until 1998 when it closed permanently.

List of Stations

Abbeyhill
Balgreen Halt
Barnton
Blackford Hill
Bonnington
Canal Street
Colinton
Corstorphine
Craiglieth
Craiglockhart
Dalmeny
Dalry Road
Davidson's Mains
Duddingston And Craigmillar
East Pilton
Easter Road
Easter Road Park Halt
Edinburgh Gateway
Edinburgh Park
Edinburgh Waverley
General Station
Gogar Station
Gorgie East
Granton Gas Works Workers' Station
Granton
Granton Road
Granton Station
Hailes Halt
Haymarket
House O' Hill Halt
Jock's Lodge
Junction Road
King's Knowe
Leith Central
Leith North
Leith Walk
Lothian Road
Meadowbank Stadium
Merchiston
Morningside Road
Murrayfield
New Halls
Newhaven
Newington
North Leith
Piershill
Pinkhill
Portobello
Powderhall
Princes Street
Ratho Low Level
Ratho Station
Saughton Station
Scotland Street
Slateford
South Gyle
South Leith
St Leonards
The Queen's Station
Trinity Station
Turnhouse
Wester Hailes
The McAlpine Partnership t/a Lost Railways UK
Trading address: Wester Balfunning Farm,
Balfron Station, Glasgow, G63 0NF,
VAT Registration No: GB 743 0642 54
Tel: 01360 449248 | ObscureMyEmail |      
Stacks Image p50_n38

About | Catalogue | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | Delivery | Sitemap
© 2019 Lost Railways UK | Website designed by
the McAlpine partnership