Lost Railways

Unique Digital Art Celebrating our Lost Railways and Stations.

Unique Digital Art Celebrating our Lost Railways and Stations.

This poster covers Scotland's industrial heart and includes Grangemouth and Inverkeithing to the north, Lanark in the south, East Kilbride and Stepps in the west, and the Forth Rail Bridge and Dolphinton to the east.
The digital artwork is scaleable and can be reproduced at any size. There is an incredible amount of detail in the artwork and in order to read the text we recommend a minimum print size of A1.

A1 size (841 x 594mm) including white border
A0 size (1189 x 841mm) including white border

Please contact us if you require prints larger that A0.

Lost Railways Lanarkshire & Lothian

A1 Poster

£24.00

A0 Poster

£36.00
  •  1

    1

  •  2

    2

  •  3

    3

Stacks Image 26

Historical Notes

Lanarkshire & Lothian Historical Notes

The Central Belt of Scotland was covered in many railways because there were countless coal and mineral collieries, and iron works, scattered across its landscape during the 19th and 20th centuries. This poster only shows the passenger lines and their stations, however the extent of railtracks across Lanarkshire and the Lothians was immense. This was an area of heavy industry.

Many of the passenger lines doubled up in areas because of rival rail companies. The Caledonian Railway (CR) and the North British Railway (NBR) were fierce competitors during the 19th century. During this century Coatbridge was Scotland's centre for coal mining and ironworks, and actually had twelve passenger stations at one point. Two of these stations were roughly 150m apart on separate railways in the centre of the town, one called Coatbridge Station (CR) and the other Coatbridge Central Station (NBR). The NBR's station Coatbridge Central closed in 1951, so the other station was renamed Coatbridge Central in 1953 and is still operating today.
The Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was the first public railway in Scotland and the first to use locomotive power successfully. It opened in 1826 for the transportation of minerals, and ran from a colliery at Monkland to a basin on the Forth and Clyde Canal at Kirkintilloch.

The Port Edgar Rail Ferry preceded the famous Forth Rail Bridge in carrying trains across the Firth of Forth to North Queensferry. When the bridge was opened in 1890 the rail ferry became redundant and subsequently closed. Further down the Forth, the first ever rail ferry in the world, from Granton to Burntisland, was also discontinued when the bridge opened.

Bangour Village Hospital, a psychiatric hospital designed and built on the continental colony system and situated next to the village of Dechmont, had its own private railway line and station. It was opened to passengers in 1905, along with an additional station at Dechmont. The branch line was attached to the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway not far from Uphall. The line and two stations were short-lived and closed in 1921.

List of Stations

Addiewell
Airbles
Airdrie
Airdrie East
Arbuckle
Armadale
Auchengray
Auchenheath
Avonbridge Station
Back O’Loch Halt
Baillieston
Bangour Private Station
Bankhead
Banknock
Bargeddie
Bathgate
Bathgate Lower
Bathgate Upper
Bellshill
Bents
Birkhill
Blackhall
Blackridge
Blackstone Station
Blackwood
Blackwood Terminus
Blairhill
Blantyre
Bo’ness Heritage Station
Bo’ness Terminus
Bonnybridge Central
Bonnybridge High
Bonnybridge Terminus
Bothwell
Bowhouse Station
Braidwood
Breich
Bridgend
Broomhouse
Broxburn
Burnbank
Calder
Calderbank
Caldercruix
Calderpark Halt
Cambuslang
Cambusnethan
Camelon
Carfin
Carluke
Carmyle
Carntyne
Carnwath
Carstairs
Castlecary
Causewayhead
Chapelhall
Chatelherault
Clarkston
Cleghorn
Cleland
Coatbridge
Coatbridge Central
Coatbridge Sunnyside
Coatdyke
Cobbinshaw
Colzium Station
Commonhead
Crofthead
Croy
Cumbernauld
Dalmeny
Dalmeny Old
Dalserf
Davies Dyke
Dechmont
Denny
Dennyloanhead Station
Dolphinton
Drumgelloch
Drumgelloch Terminus
Drumshoreland
Dullatur
Dunsyre
East Kilbride
Easterhouse
Falkirk Grahamston
Falkirk High
Fallside
Fauldhouse
Ferniegair
Flemington
Forrestfield
Foulshiels
Garnkirk
Garnqueen
Garrowhill
Gartcosh
Gartsherrie
Glassford
Glenboig
Glenellrig Station
Grangemouth
Greenfaulds
Greenhill Lower
Greenhill Upper Junction
Hallcraig Street
Hamilton
Hamilton Central
Hamilton West
Harburn
Hartwood
Haywood
Headless Cross
High Blantyre
Holytown
Inverkeithing
Kilsyth New
Kilsyth Old
Kinneil
Kirkhill
Kirkintilloch
Kirkintilloch Basin
Kirkliston
Kirknewton
Kirkwood
Lanark
Lanark Racecourse
Langloan
Larbert
Larkhall
Larkhall Central
Larkhall East
Law Junction
Leaend
Lenzie
Linlithgow
Livingston
Livingston North
Livingston South
Longridge
Longridge Terminus
Longriggend
Manuel
Manuel High Level
Manuel Low Level
Maryville
Meikle Earnock
Merryton
Milton
Morningside
Mossend
Motherwell
Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon North
Netherburn
New Halls
Newarthill
Newbigging
Newhouse
Newmains
Newpark
Newton
North Queensferry
North Queensferry Pier
Overtown
Parkhead North
Parkhead Stadium
Peacock Cross
Philpstoun
Plains
Polmont
Port Edgar Pier
Quarter
Ratho Low Level
Ratho Station
Ravelrig Platform
Rawyards
Robroyston
Shettleston
Shieldmuir
Shotts
Slamannan
Stepps
Stepps Road
Stirling Road (Carluke)
Stonehouse
Strathaven
Strathaven North
Strathhaven Central
Thornbridge Workers Station
Tillietudlem
Tollcross
Twechar Station
Uddingston
Uddingston East
Uddingston West
Uphall
West Calder
Westcraigs
Westfield
Whifflet
Whifflet Lower
Whifflet Upper
Whitburn
Whiterigg
Wilsontown
Winchburgh
Wishaw
Wishaw South
The McAlpine Partnership t/a Lost Railways UK
Trading address: Wester Balfunning Farm,
Balfron Station, Glasgow, G63 0NF,
VAT Registration No: GB 743 0642 54
Tel: 01360 449248 | ObscureMyEmail |      
Stacks Image p50_n38

About | Catalogue | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | Delivery | Sitemap
© 2019 Lost Railways UK | Website designed by
the McAlpine partnership